Thursday, March 10, 2011

DAY 6 – REPUBLICA DOMINICANA 2011


Good evening yall, this is Jordan & Steph and we are extremely exhausted, fatigued, drained, beat, bushed, tired, pooped, and sleepy. These past few days we have been human jungle gyms in the blazing heat all day, so today, our last day of our ministry work, has sucked up our last drops of energy. Although we would like to clarify that this is not our last day of ministry work because God has called us to be missionaries everyday in all that we do (Matthew 28:19-20).

Now a few specific words from Stephanie:

Today we got the opportunity to go back to the girl’s orphanage that we visited early this week.  Since it is the middle of the week the boys were there for school also. All the kids ran up to us with smiles on their faces calling us by name. It was a really fun time and I was really happy to see them all again. When we got there our team broke up into four different stations, and we played different games with all the kids. I was in a group with Abbey and Jordan; we played a game similar to Simon Says. Abbey did an awesome job at getting the kids really excited!! The kids loved every minute of it. After we got done playing the games we gathered all the kids around and we gave testimonies. After Nathanael gave his testimony our translator talked to all the kids about Jesus and then we all prayed.  After all the fun was over we had to say goodbye. It was the hardest part of the whole week. There were two little kids that were hanging on to me so tight and every time I would say adios they would say “no.” It was so hard to leave when all they wanted me to do was stay.  I know that we were here to minister to those kids, but they really touched my heart and have shown me a different meaning to love. However, the orphanage is a really nice place and all the kids seem to be really happy. It has been a great experience and watching those kids has taught me to appreciate the little things in life more than I ever have before. It is amazing to me that all of these kids could be so happy when they have so little.  They use what they have and none of them complain.  After we left the orphanage we came back to SCORE for lunch and then headed back out to another village. The village that we went to today was really hard for me personally. I didn’t have much energy and the kids demanded so much attention. The conditions were the worse that we have seen all week.  A lot of the kids walked around without shoes and a lot of them had very little clothes on, but it didn’t bother them at all and they continued to play.  I felt bad for not being able to give them every ounce of attention that they deserved. At the village we also took the time to gather all the kids around in a big circle. Aubrey was awesome and brought songs to sing in Spanish. The kids really enjoyed that! After we were done singing Jordan gave his testimony, but I will let him talk about that. The kids in the village didn’t seem as focused and as attentive as the kids in the orphanage, but I pray that each one of them got something out of the message that was given. It is always hard to leave the village because the kids follow us all the way back to the bus. They cling to you and don’t want you to leave. It sometimes feels like that the only attention that they get is when people like us come to visit, and that is just sad. I never saw a parent come out and check on their kids, and there were even infants out there playing today. Even though a lot of the kids were covered in dirt and had dirty clothes they were truly beautiful kids, and I think that has been my favorite thing about this trip. Being in a different country has opened my eyes up to so much, and I love seeing more of God’s beautiful creation other than just Indiana.  The people here are beautiful people and all of them seem so happy. It is inspirational to just sit back and watch them.

And finally a few words from Jordan:

Well it is 10:30pm here right now and I am extremely worn out, so please forgive any possible repetitiveness or confusion. Starting out my day at the orphanage was the greatest. We walked into the courtyard and the girls were sitting across the way at the picnic tables eating. As I approached the picnic area I was searching for “my girls,” Nicol and Diana because they were the two who touched my heart last Saturday. It didn’t take long and they spotted me at the time I saw them. The smile on Nicol’s face was the absolute highlight of my day, no doubt about it. I cannot express my emotions at that very moment because at the same time I almost felt like crying I just smiled and was overflowed with joy and happiness. So to make a long story short we played and shared our stories and the love of Jesus. Leaving that orphanage and those two girls, Nicol and Diana, was the most difficult moment of this entire week. I believe that many of our team members felt the same way. This was definitely one of those moments where at the same time I am trying to be a blessing to the Dominican people, things turn around and they end up being the blessing on my life. Nicol and Diana have changed my life forever…

After lunch we headed out to a nearby village that we haven’t been to yet. Steph hit a few of the points, but I just want to reiterate some important points. This was probably the worst condition we have seen. Every 4 square yards could fill up a 30-gallon trash bag to the rim with trash. Many of these children did not have shoes and a few didn’t have any clothes except underwear or some makeshift underwear. If someone had pants or shorts they were torn and littered with holes. It is times like these that keep me humble and without complaint about the things I have in my life. So to make another long story short, we played games, gave a testimony, and sang with the kids before leaving.

I apologize for rushing my part but the internet is shut off at 11 and I am about to pass out right here at the computer because I am sooooo tired. Today was a wonderful day and tomorrow we leave at 5:30 to go white-water-rafting, yay! Anyways, love your neighbor as Jesus Christo has loved you and have a blessed and wonderful day!

~Jordan &
       Stephanie~

This is Diana (left) and Nicol (right)

No comments:

Post a Comment